E.B. Black Historical House
Located at 508 West Third Street in Hereford, Texas
The spacious Victorian house was built in 1909 by Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Black. Mr. & Mrs. Black moved to Hereford in 1901 with their three older children and started the E. B. Black Furniture Company. The youngest son was born in Hereford. Over the years Mr. Black purchased farm land and raised cattle. Their home is a tribute to the gracious living of pioneer families in Hereford. Mrs. Black prepared and served many meals to her family and guests in the large dining area.
Mrs. Black died in 1941 and Mr. Black in 1945. The oldest son, Jim, and his wife Prudia lived in the house until Jim's death. In 1976 Mrs. Jim Black graciously offered to Deaf Smith County Historical Society the family home. The Society went at once to the County Commissioners Court for its judgment and advice. The Court agreed to accept the house, with its contents and grounds, with the provision that it be administered by the Society "for the use and benefit of the people of the community", as Mrs. Black specified in her gift deed.
Major restoration was performed along with developing a flower garden area in the back area around a newly built elegant old-fashioned gazebo. The house has been designated a Texas Historical Landmark by the Texas Historical Commission and is entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
The house is used by the community for club meetings, bridal and baby showers, special events and weddings. Rules and restrictions were set up by the Historical Society, and appointments for tours and reservations are made through the Deaf Smith County Museum. A garden committee made up of volunteers spends many hours spring through fall tending the gardens and planting new plants.